WELCOME!

WELCOME!

Hey everyone and thanks for visiting my blog! I’ve really had an interest in creating a blog over the past few months but I don’t think I’m very good at articulating the random crap that happens in my life (and quite frankly I doubt many people would really care). So I knew I needed to focus on something that I enjoyed but could also get the readers to give their two cents on and since I’ve always loved movies I figured that would be my topic. The format of this blog will probably change somewhat over the next few months, assuming people read it. For now it will just be random movie reviews, whatever I happen to get on Netflix or go see in the theaters. In the future, though, I may put polls up to see what people would like me to review. I’m totally open for any suggestions you all may have and please feel free to comment on reviews or start up discussions about how you felt about the movie. Well, here we go…..

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kick-Ass


Kick-Ass, Hit Girl, and Big Daddy
 If you remember the previews for Kick-Ass, you will undoubtedly be surprised when you actually get around to watching this movie.  At first look it seems to be a comedy about a nerdy guy who decides he wants to be a superhero, and for the first half-hour it is exactly that.  Enter Hit Girl and her sidekick/father Big Daddy and the movie quickly changes pace in a very good way. 

Nicholas Cage plays Damon MacReady (Big Daddy), a man whose life was ruined by Frank D’Amico – head of the local drug cartel.  Damon has been training his daughter Mindy (Hit Girl) in everything from how to take a bullet, to martial arts, to knife throwing in order to help him get revenge on Frank and his gang. 

David (Kick-Ass) is the other main character in this movie.  He is the typical nerdy, misfit, high school kid who is in love with a girl who happens to think he’s gay.  Dave always wondered what it would be like to be a superhero and finally gets tired of being ignored at school and mugged on the streets, so he decides to give it a try.  After a brutal attack on his first day as Kick-Ass, he is left with nerve damage all over his body, which really just gives him the ability to take harder beatings.  Word eventually spreads of the new hero in town and Kick-Ass eventually meets up with Hit Girl and Big Daddy and the story progresses from there.

The thing that was very surprising to me was the amount of violence in this movie, which is not a complaint.  The violence is actually taken very light heartedly in the movie but is mostly dished out by the 11 year old Hit Girl.  She has no problem stabbing, dismembering, and putting bullets in more than a few brains, which I’m sure will turn some people away.  If you don’t take it too seriously, though, you’ll have a lot of fun and will probably find Hit Girl to be a bit of a bad ass (I did).

I have to admit that I really loved this movie.  The story lines are interesting and the characters are fun.  Plus, you’ve always gotta root for the nerdy guy to get the hot girl in the end.  It may not be for everyone, but if you’re ok with lots of violence, bad language, comedy, and the always wonderful Nicholas Cage then you should definitely see it.  I’ve got my fingers crossed that we’ll be seeing a Kick-Ass 2 sometime in the future.

SCORE 9.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment